Making Money Keeping Money

has been moved to new address

http://www.nerdfamilymoney.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making Money, Keeping Money: The Ultimate Bargain: Mystery Shopping

Making Money, Keeping Money

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Ultimate Bargain: Mystery Shopping

I mystery shop and I love it. If you do it right you get stuff for free and sometimes an extra couple of bucks. I have gotten many meals, drinks and other purchases.

So your first question is probably, "What is mystery shopping?".

Mystery shopping is when you part take in a company's service (or just go to a store without buying) and observe how they do business. Then you usually fill out a report detailing everything you have seen. You have to find a way to remember the details until you get to a spot that you can take notes in unseen. Then you submit receipts and wait for reimbursement. Yes, you put out money first. Sometimes they tell you what you have to order, what courses or what questions you need to ask.

So your first question is, "How do you do it right?".

First off, never ever pay to mystery shop. Reputable companies never charge you for jobs (equipment maybe, but I will get to that later). If it seems fishy, don't do it without personal recommendations.

Secondly, remember that time is money. I don't do every shop that I am offered. As a matter of fact, I am down right picky about what assignments I accept. If the spot I am supposed to go to is across town at a spot I don't normally go to and it takes 20 minutes and the report is detailed and only pays $10, it isn't worth it. The only time I take that kind of shop is if I am trying to break into some of the nicer jobs that I know a company has and I haven't really worked for them before. Schedule your shops with other things going on with your life or the time and gas you waste will keep you from seeing any benefits.

Lastly, pay attention to details. Be very clear on what the company is looking for. The easiest way to do that is print out a blank report form and look at all the questions that you will be asked.

So I am sure that you want to know how to get started. Well here are a few companies that I have personally worked for. I will post more later. When you go to sign up be thoughtful as you answer all their questions. They are checking to see if you are well spoken.

Business Evaluation Services

IntelliShop

Second to None (This is the company that is an exception to the "pay no money rule". They charge a deposit for some equipment. When you find out who the client is, trust me it is worth it.)

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Hi there! I am dropping in from Frugal Friday.

    I enjoyed your post. I had stopped doing it when I went back to work as a preschool teacher. But your post has me thinking I should start it again over the summer when I am off.

    Stop by and see me when you get a chance over at Free 2 Be Frugal.

    :)

    By Blogger Niki Jolene, At April 22, 2010 at 9:08 PM  

  • By the way, I will have to check out those links you shared. Thanks.

    I have worked in the past with Market Viewpoint and they were legit.

    :)

    By Blogger Niki Jolene, At April 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home